Skip to main content

Virtual reality vs molecular

Recently, I was once again struck by the news about the unbelievable achievements of ML and AI (Machine Lerning and Artificial Intelligence). I'll show here a video - the neural network of these guys is doing wonders, pumping up the already good GTA-game visual. But I can't help thinking - what's the point? Well, yes, I understand that this is a technical study and there's no need to try to impose any philosophy here. That said, I certainly admire this achievement - it's really impressive.

 


But I can't get rid of various thoughts about why we humans use our best technology. And of course I know for sure, that my friends from 'tonux.gix' will say - relax, it's not an nuclear weapon, why are you picking on it anyway:) I just want to share my feelings, to warn others to keep in mind when making decisions for themselves. It seems to me that we humans often use our talents a little in the wrong direction. It's worth keeping in mind, it's in all of us, we don't want to, like, think in vain, we want to be like everyone else and better, running forward all the time without looking back.

Okay, one more thing I want to discuss with you. Maybe I'm manifesting a reaction that there's a lot of interesting research about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley. The thing is that people are kind of scared of robots that look too much like people. I do not know if there are meta-studies on this topic, probably not yet, I could not find. Please write in your comments if anyone has found it. It is an interesting phenomenon of our perception. Also, I may have some 'lens' perception due to growing up on archaic GTA versions (VC, LS and SA). Perhaps we were once drawn to games particularly because of visual asceticism. There are so many irrelevant little things around us in 'molecular' life:)

Perhaps perceptual overload in modern people is also an interesting factor. In our project, visual asceticism is kind of unconscious. We simply want, as methodical artists, to first establish the relationship between the significant things and then dive into the details. But perhaps it's this asceticism that we like, it's hard for us to say, I've discussed it with 'gix'. They don't have an exact answer, and neither do I. We certainly like the asceticism, but it's not clear whether we just haven't gotten to the small details, or whether we really like this minimalism...

Please write your thoughts, the topic is complex, but really interesting, it will be more and more relevant, in many applications. We, as creatures that have undergone biological evolution, have all sorts of mysterious features. It seems to be generally quite clear why and how, but it's not at all clear what to do about it next. It's nice if you were interested, thanks for reading.


 

 

 

Comments